Wednesday, June 10, 2009

We're Back...

From a fun trip to see my family. It had to be quick, I don’t get a summer vacation. But it was a blast! We flew in Wednesday night after work. The flight was great because it was basically empty. We were 2 of about 20 people on board! We picked out our seat, layed the seat back and enjoyed. The stewardess gave us extra food too.
The next morning was a big day. My brother, Dallin, was graduating from High School.
Big day! We were so proud of him. He has been accepted to BYU and already has a job at the testing center. I wonder how he got that! He was pretty excited, and the graduation wasn’t too boring either. Congrats, Dallin!
After the graduation we went out to dinner at Asian Star. The food was awesome! It was the first time I actually ate a whole shrimp! Though I didn’t eat a second one. But warning: if it looks hot, don’t eat it. It probably is!
The day of Dallin’s graduation was also my Dad’s birthday. When he got home from dinner he found this
We totally planned a surprise birthday for him. He really had no idea! The timing and surprise worked out perfectly. Thank you so much to everyone who helped make it a total surprise and who brought stuff and came over. We loved seeing lots of family and friends. It was also a fun time for Nathan and I because since it was a short trip, we got a chance to see a lot of people!
We did a 70s theme since that was the era that he was a teenage during. The decorations turned out so cute!

Friday we had the chance to enjoy the Oquirrh Mountain Temple Open House. It is a beautiful temple. I loved how ornately it was decorated. It is amazing how every temple is so different, and yet so extravagant. The spirit was so strong, there is no doubt that it is a sacred House of the Lord.

One of my friends that I grew up with in our ward was also married on Friday. Her reception was beautiful and it was so fun to see people that I haven’t seen in a long time! People grow up fast when you leave for 5 years!
Saturday was another fun-filled day. There was an air show up at Hill Air Force Base, about an hour from my parents house. We decided to give it a try. It was awesome! The traffic was horrible getting up there, but, being an air show, you could see it from the car. I was a little surprised when I found out we had been sitting in traffic for over an hour because I was watching the show!
The Thunder Birds were there. They are a traveling group of 6 jets that travel around for shows. They were amazing. They were flying so low and in all kinds of formations. I freaked out every time they played chicken!
That night we enjoyed dinner at Red Robin and then went back to watch Forever Strong. This is a really big movie in Utah, but I hadn’t heard of it. It was a great movie! I really enjoyed it.
Sunday was another big day in our family (see why we picked this week to go up?) My brother, Makay, received the priesthood and was ordained a Deacon. It was a really special experience and we were glad we were able to be there with him. He is growing up so fast and is such a good, responsible kid. He is crazy active and a blast to be around!
After we enjoyed dinner with both sets of my grandparents before having to run off to the airport.
My uncle has been serving in Iraq for the last 7 months and was finally released last week. After waiting in several different countries and being stuck in airports for close to a week, he actually had a layover in Salt Lake on Sunday night just before his last leg to Boise. His wife and 5 kids couldn’t have been more excited to know he was coming home! But we were the lucky ones that got to see him first. His layover was from 6:15 until 7:55. We got to the airport at 6:30 and took off at 7:30. We got to see him and talk to him for about a half hour before we had to board. It was wonderful to see him and talk to him. They are off to Germany next month for 3 years. Good luck, guys!
It was a really great trip. We crammed so much into just 4 days and it was so worth it. I loved being able to be with my family for some important milestone events. I had so much fun being around them and spending fun time. It was also really fun to be in Utah again. I love those mountains! But mostly, I love seeing family! I can’t wait to see them again!

7 comments:

Photography by Leilani said...

Wow - have you recovered yet. How much fun. Talk about killing 2 birds (or 5 or 6) with one stone. We have tickets to go to the temple open house next month. Rachel and Emily are so excited to get to see inside!!

malibumoons said...

holy moly...talk about some awesome events to be there for. I am glad you guys got to go.

Angela said...

Wow sounds like you had a great time! I still can't believe how grown up your family is! Those air shows are kind of cool, except when you live on the Air Force base like we do...when all the planes take off it feels like our house is going to fall down :)

Anonymous said...

We figured we got 3 (big events)for the price of 1 (ticket)! I was glad to be there, they all seemed pretty important!

Angie, I was wondering about that when we were on base. Does that happen on normal days or just for air shows?

Stefanie said...

I almost went to that air show! but I ended up having to work. I'm sure there were tons of people there but that would have been so funny to run into you guys there. too bad I didn't end up going that would've been so awesome! :)

Angela said...

Well usually we have a bunch of airplanes take off a day, but I have gotten to the point where I don't even notice those anymore. But when it's time for air shows, I've had pictures fall down from my walls because some of those jets and fighters are so loud! It doesn't help that we live right behind the flight line either. I'm glad it's only a once a year thing! :)

The Hodgkinsons said...

Wow! You guys were at the air show!
My unit was sending people up there that day to volunteer but I had a little too much to do that drill so I didnt make it up. If I would have known you were going I would have made a bigger effort to make it up there!