Tuesday, August 18, 2009

1,095 days later…

and we are loving it! We had a low-key, fun Saturday to celebrate our 3 years together. We drove up the coast to Santa Barbara and toured the old mission there. We toured the grounds, and the gardens.

The chapel was gorgeous and incredibly ornate.



I had to throw in this chalkboard in the bathroom, too funny!


And the graves were, well, we didn’t spend too long there J We both independently realized that we held our breath while we walked through the mausoleum. It was just really interesting to see their beliefs through worship and burial.

We learned a lot about the Spanish Catholic influence on the native Indians and how both cultures were enhanced because of it. It was a fun, non-traditional anniversary stop, that’s for sure.

Then we were off to Solvang, CA. The drive to up Solvang was beautiful. We took a more inland route and passed by mountains, lakes, and vineyards. The whole town was quaint and had a fun atmosphere. The buildings are all classic Danish architecture and there is a lot of shopping and food sampling to do. You really feel like you entered a different country. Mostly we just spent the day wandering aimlessly and enjoying each other’s company. Our first stop was at a bakery of course so we could sample, what else, Danishes. We tried an apple and a cream cheese filled.

We went through a Hans Christian Anderson Museum with original books and artwork of his.

We found the replica of the Little Mermaid statue.

And we ate at a smorgasbord. Whitney was so brave and sampled everything from the potatoes and meatballs, to the cheeses, to the pickled Herring, and even the Liver pate. And I was brave because I even kissed her afterwards J Whitney summed up the dinner well, “It was a fun experience. Next time I would eat somewhere else. And if their food was the same, I would bring my own dinner.” Not to mention the Liver which, “insulted [her] tongue.” I guess that means she didn’t love it. But we had a great time at the Red Viking. A group of older people came in a little while after us and were announcing to the waitress that it was their 3rd time eating there in 2 days. It was a very fun anniversary and we can’t wait until the 4th.

3 comments:

Leilani said...

We went to Santa Barbara for our honeymoon! You'll have to go back to the mission on Memorial weekend. They have a huge art festival with AMAZING pictures drawn in chalk all over the side walk. It is really cool. I think every kid in CA does a mission report in 4th grade. Ask Nathan if he did one. I also love Solvang. Went there as a kid and my sisters and I all got clogs.

The Hodgkinsons said...

Congrats on 3 years!

Brad and Kjirstin said...

Wow we totally want to go to Solvang someday! Much closer than flying to actual Denmark. Congrats on the three years too!!!